Getting back with an ex is a major life decision. Because of this, it is essential to think twice before you move back in with a former lover. Take note that there was a reason why the breakup took place in the relationship. Here are some of the issues or matters that you must take into consideration in deciding whether reconnecting with your ex-husband is a good idea:
- There Is No More Hatred. Be sure that you have finally moved on from your painful past. The only time to get back with a loved one is when you have already forgiven him for the separation. Think of the reason why you had to part ways. If you still feel angry about it, then you must rethink the situation. As long as you still feel unhappy about his previous actions, then the relationship this time will still not work. “We should examine the inextricable role that self-love plays in any and all human connection.” A reminder from Clinical Psychologist and relationship expert Molly Gasbarrini, Ph.D.
- He Has Changed. This is where you also need to remind yourself of the reasons why you had to go separate ways. Are there specific things that you do not like about him? What are your deal breakers? If he has not changed his attitude or treatment towards you, then maybe it is not best to get back with him. Take note that unresolved issues can only prevent both of you from feeling happiness.
- You Love Him. Needless to say, it is crucial that you must be in love with the other person. Take some time to figure out the feelings you have for your ex. Are you sure that you have strong feelings towards him? Maybe you are just confused right now. Sometimes, confusion can make you have mixed emotions. Unless you are 100% sure of your feelings, never get back with an ex.
- Everything Feels Right. Trust your instinct in deciding on this matter. You will know if you are doing the right thing because it would feel right. It is as if everything has become perfect in your life. Learn how to listen to your guts so that you can avoid committing errors or mistakes. Avoid pressuring yourself in establishing your relations with an ex who has autism. Remember, “There is no cure for autism, nor is there one single treatment for autism spectrum disorders. But there are ways to help minimize the symptoms of autism and to maximize learning.” Karla Helbert, LPC, E-RYT, C-IAYT said.
- Your Friends And Family Are Supportive. Whether you like it or not, it is essential to listen to what your friends or family say about your ex. If they support your decision, then that is a good sign that you made the correct choice. On the other hand, if they have reservations about the relationship, it is ideal to consider their comments. Nonetheless, remember that you know better than them.
“Individuals with an autism spectrum disorder (ASD) progress similarly to their typically-developing peers in terms of sexual health.” Catherine Davies, MEd, MSc,CPsychol, LMHC explains. The truth is that reconnecting with a former lover is a tough decision to make. It becomes challenging especially if your ex-spouse has an autism spectrum disorder (ASD). As such, the right thing to do is never to rush the decision-making process. Take all the time you need to weigh all your options over and over again. As already mentioned above, getting back with a past flame is a life-changing event, which is why you need to proceed with caution.